DUBL-CHEK Red Oxide No.1
Red Dual Suspendable Magnetic Oxide Particles
- Red Dual Suspendable Magnetic Oxide Particles.
Red Oxide No. 1 is red magnetic oxide particle that can be suspended in a highly refined light petroleum oil or water. It can be viewed under either visible or fluorescent light. The particles respond to magnetic leakage fields created by discontinuities in ferromagnetic material. Particles rapidly collect at leakage fields producing black indications.
Use at a concentration of 8.0g/L of MPF. For best results, add a small amount of MPF to the powder and form a slurry prior to adding to the bath.
The water must be conditioned before adding the Red Oxide No.1 in order to disperse the particles, wet the test surface and inhibit corrosion. W5-C is the recommended conditioner and is added at 10g/L. Red Oxide No.1 should be added at a concentration of 8.0g/L.
The settlement test, using a pear-shaped centrifuge tube, is essential to check the particle concentration and contamination to the suspension. This SHALL be performed on the initial batch, an adjustment made to the concentration, or at each shift change. The Settlement Test methods and particle concentrations can be found in relevant standards. The recommended volume is between 1.2 and 2.5 ml and will vary from one specification to another. The concentration may be adjusted by adding more MPF, water or Red Oxide No. 1 as required.
1. Clean the test surface and allow it to dry.
2. Apply DUBL-CHEK CP-2 for background contrast, if required.
3. Magnetise the area to be inspected.
4. Ensure continuous agitation of the suspension.
5. Apply the suspension to the test part at a distance of approximately 150mm from surface.
6. Allow the excess oil/water to run off the inspection area.
7. Inspect the surface under visible or fluorescent light.
8. Collections of Red Oxide No.1 particles will reveal discontinuities at the leakage fields.
9. Clean and repeat the process; changing the orientation of the magnetising direction.
Specific Gravity: 0.4 g/ml
Particle Size: 5 – 30 µm (average 10µm)
Temperature limit: 0°C to 49°C
|5.5kg (1.7 gallons)